Many changes happen in our body during winter season.
People who have low immunity, breathing issues like COPD/ ASTHMA or joints pain faces a lot of problem during winters. But many patients who are Hypertensive and mainly elderly patients are prone to get increase blood pressure during winter season. We have noticed that patients above 60 years of age who have B.P problem and are already taking medicines, notice increase in blood pressure during winters and for which they need to increase the medicine to control it.
Reason for increase of Blood Pressure during Winters are :
- Vasoconstriction of the blood vessels during winter I.e narrowing of blood vessels because of which more force is needed to transport the blood to different parts of the body which increases the blood
- Winter weight gain can also be the reason for increase of Blood
- Lack of Physical activity in Winters is also very important reason for the increase of Blood pressure during Winters.
Mainly Blood pressure increase during winters are common above 60 years of age. How can we avoid increase of Blood Pressure during Winters
1. Avoid Caffeine/ Alcohol
- Dress in layers : Instead of wearing 1 thick cloth try to wear dress in layers which traps the heat and keeps you
- Keep your skin least exposed to cold during
- Eat Seasonal fruits and vegetables : Eat healthy and nutrition diet which controls your Blood Pressure. Avoid more salt and oily food products.
- Moderate Exercise : keep doing mild to moderate exercise during winters to control the Blood Pressure. Mild physical activity can be done inside the home
- Limit outdoor activity.: Avoid going out during Winters if you have Blood Pressure and if necessary do physician activity at home
Controlling Blood pressure is very important during winters because we have seen maximum cases of Heart attacks and stroke are during winters and High blood pressure is the number cause in both the disease. Please monitor your blood pressure regularly and if high consult your doctor.
Blood pressure treatment is Gurgaon is provided by the Whitecoats clinic situated in sector 42, off Golf course road, Gurgaon.